Saturday, July 2, 2011

Food: Fried Green Tomatoes - Recipe and Tutorial



Fried Green Tomatoes are a big fave of mine; and Michael's as well. I only learned to make them a few years back. The photo above is of the very first batch I made. They turned out great. However, I had my Mom on the phone almost the entire time coaching me {or holding my hand rather}. After that batch, I became more confident in my ability to do it own my own. Resulting in lots of fried green tomatoes being ate in our home.

This afternoon I fried up a batch as you can see in the photo below.
If you'd like to make fried green tomatoes, I'll tell you how I do it.
 
You will need:
 
Two Green Tomatoes
One Cup of Flour {either kind}
One Cup of Cornmeal
Salt & Pepper {to taste}
One egg
Half a Cup of Milk
Oil {for frying}

Get yourself three small bowls. In one put your flour, in the second mix the milk and egg, in the last add your cornmeal, salt, and pepper. 
 
Slice your tomatoes. I cut mine about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. I fry up every piece I possibly can. I slice off the ends as thin as possible as not to waste and discard them or only cut out the stem, etc and fry up the pieces with the hole left in them.
 
Get your frying pan and add about about 1/2 inch of oil and heat for a couple minutes. Just as long as it is hot when u put the tomatoes in. If not they will be too greasy.

Quickly, take a slice of your tomato and place one side then the other down into the flour. Next dip the floured tomato in the milk/egg mixture on both sides and then place that into the cornmeal mixture on each side.
 
Now it is time to add your very coated tomato into the oil. Be careful. You can add several others. Just as long as they aren't laying on top of each other. Let them brown on one side, and flip to the other.  Once they have browned on the opposite side, lay them out on a paper towel covered plate to drain.
 
Give them a couple minutes to cool a little and enjoy. They are best when they are very warm.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

I haven't tried fried green tomatoes before, and I've always wanted to. I know it's more of a southern dish so nobody around here makes them. As soon as I have tomatoes I'm giving it a go. Hubby's not fond of tomatoes, but the "fried" part has him intrigued :)
Thanks for the recipe.

Alana Jo said...

Oh... your gonna LOVE them. Be sure to let me know how it goes!

Unknown said...

Looks like I should try and stop avoiding the inevitable and just try it! It looks too good and too easy not to try! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Sunny said...

I love them too. But I've never learned how to fry them. So, I finagle hubby into cooking them. He also does the cream gravy since I am so backward as far as some foods are concerned. Whatever works, works ----- right.