Sunday, November 20, 2011

Food: Apple Dumplings Recipe and Tutorial

Apple Dumplings are one of my favorite Fall foods. I consider it a Fall food because up until the last couple of years, I had no idea how to make them, and would only have them in the Fall at the local Festival. My sister, Missy, was given a recipe from a friend and we've been making them on a regular basis ever since.They are so easy. You can't mess this up.

To make Apple Dumplings, you will need:
1 (16 ounce) can refrigerated flaky biscuit dough
4 apples - peeled, cored and halved {We use Granny Smith but sometimes Gala}
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water {We use Mtn. Dew instead}
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

After you gather your ingredients, peel and core your apples. I don't have an apple corer so I just cut them in half or into 1/4s and slice out the core with a regular knife. Then preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

{I forgot to peel the apples until I started wrapping them up for the photos and had to go back and peel them.}
Get yourself a piece of wax paper and sprinkle it with flour. Lay your biscuit down, sprinkle on some more flour and roll it out with a rolling pin.
It should look something like this.
Now lay your peeled apple on top and fold the biscuit around the apple.
Sorta like this.
Now lay them folded side down onto a very buttered baking dish.
Combine sugar, water {or Mtn. Dew}, melted butter, vanilla and cinnamon.
Now pour the mixture all over the biscuit covered apples. Spoon it from the pan onto the apples several more times until they are smothered in it.
Now just bake those babies about 35-40 minutes until they are golden brown and serve them up with some French Vanilla ice cream.
YUM!

I am sharing this post at Homestead Revival's Barn Hop. Stop by and check out the other entries. 

2 comments:

ARK said...

This looks SO delicious!! I was really excited to see the unpeeled apple...I thought maybe this was a new recipe that had less peeling, so I was a teensy bit sad to read that you DID have to peel them :) I'm pinning this and hopefully making them SOON!

Rght now though, I'm checking out those beautiful birds! What a variety!

Alana Jo said...

Thanks! Yeah, I just got carried away taking pictures before I thought to peel them. LOL.

Thanks. The chickens are Sussex.