Thursday, December 1, 2011

Food: Strawberry Pineapple Pretzel Cream Dessert


Amanda, my sister-in-law's sister, introduced me to this dessert a few years back and I loved it. It just kept slipping my mind to actually ask her for the recipe. Then before Thanksgiving I saw this pin on Pinterest. I HAD to make it. I already knew it was delicious, so why not? Simple ingredients, quick, easy, and a crowd pleaser. You can't beat that.

Michael, the boys, and I whipped this baby up this afternoon. We all loved it and ate 1/2 the pan by ourselves!

Here is the recipe, if you would like to have it.

Crust:
2 cups crushed pretzels
3/4 cup melted butter
3 Tablespoons sugar

Filling:
1 (8 oz) container whipped topping, thawed
1 (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapples, drained

Topping:
1 (6 oz) strawberry jello mix
2 cups boiling water
2 (10 oz) packages frozen strawberries

First, you want to set the oven to 400 degrees and let it preheat. Then, crush up your pretzels. It hurt my hands to try to snap a handful of them so the better idea was to put them in a ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin.

Now, just mix your crushed up pretzels with 3 Tablespoons of sugar and 3/4 cup of melted butter in a large bowl. Then, spread the mixture out in the bottom of your baking dish and bake for about 10 minutes. I think my baking dish was about a 9x13, if you wondered.

While your crust is in the oven, add all your filling ingredients into a large bowl (I just reused the same one as before) and mix well.

By this time, the crust should be ready to come out of the oven. Let it cool a few minutes.

Then you will need to boil 2 cups of water and mix it with the strawberry gelatin. Stir well, and then just let it sit and cool just a couple minutes before adding in the strawberries. Once the strawberries are in there, pour the topping mixture over the filling and cover with plastic wrap.

Place the dessert in the fridge and allow the jello to set up. Then ENJOY!

*Next time, I think I will double the amount of filling. That was my kiddos favorite part.*

No comments: