Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Food: Not Only Vegetable Soup


My Mom makes THE BEST vegetable soup, ever. Ok, maybe it's not just all veggies, but we still call it vegetable soup. She doesn't measure and doesn't follow a recipe, but I thought I'd share the ingredients with you. There is no right or wrong amount of any of them. Just whatever you think looks right to you. 

First you will will fry your hamburger meat. I go ahead and do that in the cooker I am going to make my soup in. You can drain the grease or not. Mom does. I've done it both ways.

Add in on top of the burger... 

Tomato Juice
Corn
Green Beans
Peas
Potatoes*
Carrots*
Onions
Green Pepper
and 
Cabbage*
Macaroni**

*If you are using fresh veggies instead of veggies from a can, you will need to pre-cook the potatoes, carrots, and cabbage as they take longer to get tender than any of the other ingredients. Once they start getting tender, add them in.

**Add the macaronis maybe 15 minutes before turning the soup off. If not, they will be mush. 

That's it. Put all the ingredients into the cooker and boil until everything is tender. Add in macaroni, turn down the heat to low, and let simmer for maybe 15 minutes.

Salt to taste.

I'm sharing this at Farmgirl Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's just delicious down home cooking and a real tummy filler. Time to get a big ol' pot out from the cupboard!