Thursday, August 4, 2011

Food: Young 'Taters 'n Gravy Tutorial


One of my favorite country meals that my Mom makes and I had no clue how to is Young 'Taters 'n Gravy. Some of you may know what that is and how to make it; but I bet most have no clue what I am talking about. So I figured I'd get Mom to show me and you how to make them.

Young 'Taters are often known as New Potatoes. Really it is just a potato that has been dug before they are mature. They usually are small and the skins are a light brown or yellow and very thin.

Photo from all-about-potatoes.com

{I had to borrow the photo above because I forgot to take a picture before Mom cooked them.}
 
I purchased my potatoes at the local farmers market for $3.00, but was informed later that afternoon that Dad had plenty in his garden that I could have dug. Guess I'll ask before I buy next time. Hopefully by next year I'll have some young 'taters of my own. 

You can cook the young 'taters with the skin on; but Mom peeled 'em, chopped 'em up,  covered 'em with water and cooked 'em over medium-high heat until they were tender. You should be able to very easily mash them with a fork.
After the 'taters have cooked, grab yourself a bowl. In that bowl, add 6 tablespoons of flour,
6 tablespoons of cream or milk,
and one cup of water.  {No Mom doesn't have two right arms. LOL. My sister was standing beside her washing jars. We were making kraut that day}
whisk.
Turn your potatoes back on medium-high and let the water start to boil. Add a very heaping teaspoon of butter.
Pour in the flour mixture, turn down to medium and stir. Let the gravy mixture simmer about five minutes, stirring constantly so it doesn't stick.
Now it is ready to eat.
Enjoy! 
 
If you find that your gravy is too thick, just add a little more water. If it is too thin.. just add a little more flour mixture. It is really easy. 
 
My cousin said in order to prevent clumps she takes her 'taters out of the water after they have cooked, mixes up the gravy in the water that is left, and then adds the potatoes back in.  Mom said she had never done it that way before because it takes more time and she was always in a hurry. 
 
I shared this post at Homestead Revival.

3 comments:

April's Homemaking said...

Yum, what a great way to make potatoes and gravey, I will have to try this, they look wonderful!!

luckybunny said...

OK now this I HAVE to try! This looks great.

Alana Jo said...

Good luck! Let me know how you like it. Thanks for stopping by.