Sunday, November 20, 2011

Food: Momo's Gingerbread and Glaze


{I took this photo back in July at my nephew Brandon's 16th Birthday Party. I am pretty sure she didn't do the glaze that day but just had powdered sugar on top.}

Many thanks to my SIL Melanie for allowing me to share her Momo's recipe. Trust me, it is delicious! I always end up eating way to much when Melanie makes this gingerbread. When she doesn't know what to make for a family event, I always suggest this, as it is always a huge hit and I like to snag a few to bring home with me. 

"We almost lost this recipe once so I want everyone to have it. It is a shame when a family recipe is lost. Hope you like it. Just let me know if you have questions about it." -Melanie

Momo's Gingerbread

10 cups self-rising flour, sifted
3 tsp of ginger
1 tsp of allspice
4 cups of granulated sugar
1 ½ cups brown sugar, packed
1 cup of Wesson oil
1 ½ cups of buttermilk
1 cup of molasses
5 large eggs, whole

In a large mixing bowl, blend the flour, ginger, allspice, granulated sugar and brown sugar. Pour in Wesson oil, buttermilk and molasses. Add eggs. Blend well with a large spoon or with hands. Batter should be very thick. Pour 1/3 of batter at a time (so it will be easy to work with) onto a well-floured surface. Knead slightly. Don't over knead. Pinch off small amounts of batter as if making biscuits. Roll slightly in flour. Place onto a large pre-buttered cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated oven at 325* to 375* (depending on temperature of oven). Bake about 11-15 minutes depending on size of cakes. Makes approximately 60 small cakes.

Gingerbread Glaze

1 tsp ginger
1 tsp allspice
1 ½ cups brown sugar
½ cup water

Blend all ingredients. Cook over medium heat to make a light to medium syrup. Brush on top of cooled gingerbread cakes.

No comments: