Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Food: How to make Zesty Salsa Tutorial

I've had these photos on my computer forever, but I just keep forgetting to share this tutorial. Better late than never, I suppose. 

So here we go..


REMEMBER I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL. I AM LEARNING TOO AND CAN'T BE RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR SALSA FLOPS. LOL. 
{This is a tried recipe, so I am pretty sure it won't.}

My boys made Zesty Salsa with our local 4-H group and Tessa from Doty Creek Crafter. I thought I'd take photos and share the how-to with all of you. Many thanks to the 4-H leaders for allowing me to take photos. I omitted all the photos of children other than mine for privacy reasons.

First you have your adorable children wash, wash, wash their hands and remove the lids and rings from the new jars. 
Toss the jars in the dishwasher. Don't forget the detergent. Put that sucker on HOT water and a heated dry. 
Now put your jars, lids, and rings in your water bath canner. The water just needs to be simmering. This will reduce the risk of the jars breaking when you put hot food into them.
Gather your ingredients. 
Tomatoes
Green Peppers
Onions
Hot Peppers (We didn't use those.)
Garlic (We used Garlic Powder.)
Cilantro
Salt 
Vinegar
Hot sauce (We omitted that also.)


 Cut the peppers in half, clean out the insides. 
 Dice. You will need 5 cups. 
 Clean and dice your onions. 5 cups of those also.
 Peal, core, and dice up your tomatoes. 10 cups! 
 Mix all your vegetables in a cooker with the garlic (3 cloves or you can substitute garlic powder. 1/8 tsp = 1 clove), cilantro (2 Tbsp), salt (3 tsp), and cider vinegar (1 1/4 cups).

*You can add in your 2 1/2 cups of seedless hot peppers and your hot peppers sauce here if you wish to have really zesty salsa.*
 Bring mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Ladle into hot jars. Be CAREFUL, it is HOT!
 Leave 1/4 inch of head space. 
Add lids and rings, and process for 15 minutes in a boiling water canner. 
Tada! It should make 6 pints or 12 half pints.

I am sharing this post at From the Farm Blog Hop , Homestead Blog Hop, and Farmgirl Friday.

No comments: