Thursday, August 25, 2011

Cheap Way to Raise Chickens: Finally, a waterer that works well for us!


We tried the homemade waterer and then we borrowed one from my Dad that he purchased at a farm store. We had issues with both. Given the homemade waterer worked much better than the one from the store, but our coop isn't level and I couldn't figure out how to make one that hangs. Finally, I gave up. I scrubbed out an old plastic pan I had stored in the building and filled it up with water. I've been using it for a few weeks and it works great. The chickens don't make a mess in it with poo or the wood chips. It doesn't leak because the coop isn't level. I fill it 3/4 of the way up, and it is good for several days to a week. That is much better for me than having to clean out the other waterers ever single day. So, if you are having issues with waterers too.. give this a try. Cheap, simple, and efficient.

No comments: