Saturday, August 11, 2012

Homeschool: Museum of Appalachia Field Trip

The boys and I went along with our local 4-H homeschool group on a field trip to the Museum of Appalachia in Clinton, Tennessee. If you've never been there, it is a wonderful experience.

This is the only photo I have of  all three of us together. Please excuse my sweaty, slicked-back hair. It was the end of the day, it was extremely hot, and only one of the nearly 40 buildings had air conditioning.
Peacocks run around everywhere; and when we ate our bag-lunch outside on the picnic tables, the peacocks would come over and watch us. I'm sure it was because they are use to being fed by everyone that walks by.  It was kind of intimidating for them to be standing there starring at us like that. I felt at any moment we would be under attack, but they didn't do a thing. Just watched. What gorgeous creatures!
There were also sheep roaming inside a lot that you walk through on the tour. The boys loved it and immediately started asking me if we could get a few to run in our pasture with the goats. 
Honesty, there was so much to see, it is hard to do it in a day. I took WAY too many pictures, so I decided to only share a few of my favorites. Though, it was hard to choose. 

I loved the colors of this wagon.
 This one is a funeral wagon. It even had the casket in the back. 
 The general store was very eye catching. 
And the post office made me feel like I had stepped into a movie. 
Oh, wait, maybe it was a TV series. Christy! Here is the school room from the show.
 This gorgeous wagon was outside under the shelter of the barn. 
 We went through all of the homes; and I loved all the kitchens and bedrooms. How sweet is that cradle?
 Look at that little high-chair!
Then of course they had trundle beds. Just like Laura Ingalls in the Little House in the Big Woods. (Which we happen to be group reading right now). 
I wonder if that is just a doll bed or if a baby actually slept there? 
 Why the crutches? 
 I think this light, bright, airy kitchen was my favorite. I love the flowers on the table. 
 Truthfully, I adored everything about all of the homes and would love to call them my own. 
Only, I need electricity, running water, plumbing, air conditioning, a microwave, and Internet access.

These adorable ragdolls were for sale in the gift shop. I am so going to make some!
If you ever get the chance to visit, hop on it! I promise you won't regret it and this is only a tiny glimpse at all there is to see. A very educational experience, even for me. 

I am sharing this post at The Morristribe and Homestead Revival!

6 comments:

http://www.museumofappalachia.org said...

Thanks for coming to visit the Museum! We love your photos! Would you mind sharing with us? We might use on our facebook page or other things in the future.
Come back soon! We offer memberships and you can come and would have unlimited visits for a year!
We hope to see you again soon!
Your friends at the Museum of Appalachia

Alana Jo said...

I may be interested in that. I'd like to discuss it with someone. Who do I need to get in contact with?

Christy Peake said...

Lovely photos!! What a fabulous museum!

Alana Jo said...

Yes, it is fantastic!

Sarah said...

I haven't been there in years. I lived not too far from it most my life, and got married near it at Norris Dam State Park. Great pictures!

Alana Jo said...

Thanks! :)