Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Food: Homemade Apple-Butter and Fried Apple Pies Recipe and Tutorial

If you haven't noticed from all my other posts, I love my Mom and Dad. I have fantastic parents. Truly, I couldn't be more blessed.  Anywho.. lol.. My awesome parents made homemade apple-butter the other day and gave us a big jar. In our family apple-butter = fried apple pies! Yum-o!

Doesn't it look Delicious? 

Apple-Butter

The general rule is 3/4 cup sugar per 1 cup applesauce. Then cinnamon and cloves to taste. But.. if you would like the exact amounts; Mom and Dad used 16 cups of applesauce, 12 cups of sugar, 5 Tbsp cinnamon, 1 tsp cloves. Then boil for approximately 25 minutes. If it seems too thin, boil a little longer.

Once you have the apple-butter made, if you'd like to make fried apple pies, here is how I do it.

Spread yourself out a piece of wax paper and rolling pin, cover with flour. For the crust I use canned biscuits. Not the big thick biscuits. I use the small cheap-o ones. Roll it out, add the apple butter, and fold in half. Once folded, I use a fork and seal the edges. If it sticks, add a little flour to the fork. When I am done with that side I flip it over and go over the edges on the other side, just to be safe. 


Now, get yourself some oil in cooker. Some people use a skillet, but I use a deep cooker just in case the oil splashed. Once the oil is good and hot, put your pie in, you can do a couple at time if you want. Just make sure they aren't touching. Fry on one side til brown, but not hard, then turn over and brown on the other side.  You want to make sure they are done, but still soft.
Get them out and lay them on a paper towel to catch the grease. We like to top with powdered sugar, but that is optional. 

Enjoy! 

I am sharing this post at Cowgirl UpRural Thursday, Farm Girl Blog Fest, and Morristribe !

No comments: